that was a sad day- but totally makes sense-
and have this list of books I have read and want to read and when I hear of something I go and add it to my list.
(quick note: I don't accept friends on Good Reads- I am using it for just my personal self. Don't take offence. Its not because I don't love you or anything.)
ANYWAY I enjoy having this list and it brings me joy to occasionally look at the options I have for what I can read.
Sometimes I just read the same things again. I like doing that.
Which is so weird to me now because.....
When I signed up for the book club that my friend started - it was because I knew that I needed to start reading even if I didn't want to. Ugh and I DID NOT WANT TO.
I liked reading as a kid
and in middle school
but just stopped in High School. With the exception of the Required Reading.
I was in high school, and was working about 30- 40 hours a week at Penneys (good times... good times....) So in my head it was no problem to just stop reading and I never liked anything enough that forced me to feel sad about it.
It wasn't something I necessarily enjoyed or anything so why not.
I always thought it ironic how My Grandpa Preston ran a book store
(that was awesome by the way- and I am completely heart broken EVERYTIME I think that he and that bookstore are not here anymore... but that's another story)
and NONE of my Preston side of the family reads.
I mean we CAN read.
And honestly we read very well.
But we just DON'T read.
Funny eh?
Well- when Robyn starts a book club and is looking for participants I really wanted to join in-but I told her no promises because life is crazy for me
(and still is btw - but I was totally giving myself to lean on if I didn't end up reading the whole book on time. Because I hated reading which is why I stopped in the first place)
but REALLY I figured I should get my act together.
And I had fun in the book club.
I went and I signed up for a Barnes and Nobles membership so I get discounts on books and everything.
When I moved out here to Cali coming up to 6 years ago- I had a really hard time stepping into book stores of any sort.
I felt like I was cheating on my family.
So I wouldn't go in them and just call my grandpa when I needed something.
Which wasn't often.
Well after he passed away (almost 4 years ago... wow) if I had to go into a book store I seriously had a hard time breathing and my heart hurt to the point where I would run out and cry in the car.
I got to the point that if I needed something I would call and have them set it up at the front desk so I could go in and get out as fast as I could and I would still have my panic attack or whatever it was called.
Well... this book club allowed me to do something I wasn't sure I would ever be able to do again. And for that I will be eternally grateful.
You know when you go into a bookstore the overwhelming calm you get? Or at least I do.
I was able to get that back.
I got to the point where I could go in a book store look around and enjoy myself.
Not even looking at anything in particular.
Just walking around and being in there.
It's a very peaceful feeling.
Maybe you are thinking that I am an odd or something LOL but it was true. I could spend hours in there killing time.
Enough history on THAT subject. Back to why I was originially writing all of this.
So Austin is laughing at me now. Because all I ever do in my spare time is Edit pictures or Read.
We get home from work and we then attend whatever activity is scheduled for that day
(Mondays- boxing Tuesdays-mutual Wednesdays- boxing and then the temple Thursdays- MMA training for austin and I usually do the necessities Friday and Saturday- randomess scheduled items)
Well I just finished a HUGE editing project Wednesday/Thursday
(thanks to my insomnia.... *ahem* although not being able to sleep until 4:00am is not my usual fun)
so I treated my self.
When I got home from work I couldn't wait to start the Last book of a series I am reading
(AGAIN).
Open book.
Sit on Couch all comfy like-One leg on the back cushion, your head on the arm rest. You know the PROPER way to sit on a couch. :)
and next thing I know Austin is walking in the door and I am on page 330
(of which is my favorite part of this book- its so sad and so sweet and heart breaking and swelling at the same time)
and a little over half way finished.
Austin walked in the door saying I was cute asked me how much I read and when I showed him he made the comment of
"Babe I am glad you like to read. But when you want me to let you buy whatever book you desire whenever you want....... I might have to limit you to one book a month"
or something like that and then he laughed and was teasing me how it was like a parent talking to a kid about over doing something
LOL
I thought it was really funny. And he was only joking around. Austin likes to tease me a bunch.
But I thought it was really funny.
How within a year or two and going from not reading ANYTHING that I wasn't forced to read
(and when teachers said we had to choose our own book to read for whatever I still considered that forcing)
To enjoying reading....its just funny to me.
I guess its a sign that I am getting old.
Kinda like- the day you say "TURN DOWN THAT MUSIC!" is another sign of you getting old....
Anyway
I am going out on a limb and suggest that you each read this Series
I don't know anyone that hasn't so far.
And because I say this to anyone/everyone I refer this series to.
You find something out in the first book that takes you by surprise. And it takes you by surprise because you really can't believe it. And you ask yourself "REALLY?!"
Well the answer to that "REALLY?!" isn't until the very end of the 3rd book.
Now I am the person who needs to know the awnser to the "REALLY!?" before i continue reading any further.
And believe me I searched like a mad man trying to find out.
Literally going insane over it.
So I am going to tell you this now.
If find yourself in that position and you need to know.
You can ask me and I will tell you.
However I will make sure that you really want to know.
I am only doing that because I went insane looking.
Anyway.
This turned into a really long post that wasn't suppose to be. Sorry about that. :) I guess I like to ramble when I type.
Have a good day!



4 comments:
I liked your long post honey. I agree with you. I truly LOVE reading ... and I am glad that you can go into book stores again. I feel the same way. Good book stores have a calming influence on me too.
Love you
Thanks for the book series recommendation! I'm always looking for new reads, and right after I get done with my current line-up, I'm all over these!
Some of the best dates Chris and I have gone on involve going to the book store, finding a book that we each like, then finding a chair and enjoying the book and people-watching. Like you said, very soothing (unless it's during Christmas shopping, then it should be avoided at all costs!)
I need to get into reading. That's awesome that you are so into reading! I may have to check into the books you posted :)
i have been reading so much lately! these look good. thanks for the suggestion. have you read hunger games? it is so good and the sequel comes out sept. 2nd!!
Post a Comment